The New Kid in Town


There's a new kid in town.  Strangely I haven't come up with a name for this one yet, so it is currently known as "the Brother".  Maybe I'll call him Bob.  It's formal name is the Brother Fashionista NQ3500D.  This is a mid-level sewing/quilting/embroidery machine.  It's the twin of the Babylock Ventura.  That "D" in the name stands for "Disney", and yes, there are 35 Disney embroidery patterns on it.  Bob came from the Nova Sewing Centre in London, formerly the Sewing Superstore where I bought Phoebe.  They still have the same great staff and it was a pleasure to once again deal with Ivana.

I've been thinking for awhile that I'd like to play with an embroidery machine.  I was initially looking at the entry level ones sold at Costco, but decided I would likely outgrow one of those pretty quickly.  They tend to only have small hoops to work with.  The brother goes up to 6" x 10".

I was wresting with going with this combo machine or the dedicated Janome 500E.  I would have saved a little money going with the Janome, and had a couple more embroidery functions such as jump thread cutting and a 1" larger hoop, but I really liked the idea of having a good backup machine.  This really is a good machine, with the built in scissors, a pivot feature, a knee lifter, and lots lots more! (you are reading that in a tv commercial voice, aren't you?!)  Betty (the White) is going up to Mr. J's to live so that if I have any mending to do for him I can do it there.

Of course I had to try out the embroidery function.  Machine embroidery is a whole new learning curve, although I did spend the entire weekend researching everything I could find about it.  First I did a flowered monogram on a washcloth.  Then I did a basic monogram on a towel, that I am not as happy with.  It sewed well, I'm just not loving the style.  Finally I embroidered a gecko on the skirt of a peplum top.  This one I love!

So I've barely come out of the sewing room since I brought the Brother - sorry, Bob - home the other day.  Phoebe (the Pfaff) doesn't need to worry, I'll still be using her regularly.  Mom brought over all kinds of generic feet that will work with the Brother, but I still don't have an edgeguide foot for it.  Seeing as I already have a couple of those for Phoebe, I don't see a need to run out and buy them for the Brother just yet.  With the edgeguide feet, the extended table and the IDT (built-in walking foot) I think Phoebe will still be my best option if when I do any quilting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bionic Gear Bag - Pattern Review (long and pic heavy)

New Look 6735 - The Dedicated Post

Name That Bike!