Wonder Woman! Lutterloh 298-225




Lutterloh 298-225

I bought this Wonder Woman flannel back when I first got back into sewing, about four years ago (Is that all?  It seems like so much longer!)  I've made myself a couple of other pairs of pyjama pants, in fact the first thing I posted about when I got back into sewing was a pair of self drafted pyjama pants.  But I have been sitting on this favourite piece of flannel, afraid to ruin it.  I finally cut into it today.

  The self drafted pyjamas I made back then were ok, although a little short in the rise.  I've also made pyjamas from Big 4 patterns, but they always seem to be so baggy.  And in all cases they never seem to be long enough, even after adding extra length.  They start off fine but then seem to shrink even after the flannel was pre-shrunk.  This time around, as I've been flirting with the Lutterloh patterns, I decided to give this one a try.  And I'll come right out and say it - I've never had a pair of pyjama pants fit me so well.

They are not too baggy yet plenty roomy enough to be comfortable sitting or crouching.  The rise is the perfect height.  And as far as length?  The finished length in the picture above is the finished length on the pattern as drafted with no adjustments.  I have never had a pattern that I didn't have to add length to.  I noticed this also in a pants pattern that I drew out but haven't made yet - they were plenty long enough.  I did leave myself 1 1/4" for hemming so that I can let it down in the future if I need to.

 I first basted them together to check the fit.  Then I sewed them properly, very similarly to a pair of jeans.  I sewed each seam first with a straight stitch and then serged the seam allowances with a 3 thread stitch.  I then double topstitched the seams over the front and back crotch as well as the inseams.  I did a single topstitch on the top section of the sideseams to the bottom of the pockets.  I reinforced the pocket opening with twill tape to prevent stretching.  The waistband is a separate band instead of just a fold over casing, and I attached that the same way - straight stitch, serge and then topstitch.  The pattern calls for a tie cord as well as elastic in the waistband but I just used elastic.  I don't usually bother with the tie cords in pyjamas.  About the only change I would make if making these again is I would make the pockets an inch or two wider.  They are deep enough, just a bit narrow for my taste.

This is the third pattern I have sewn from Lutterloh and I have to say that I am a convert.  The real test will be with a pair of pants.  I just have to decide which pants pattern to try first.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bionic Gear Bag - Pattern Review (long and pic heavy)

New Look 6735 - The Dedicated Post

Name That Bike!