New Look 6735

At the recommendation of some folks on sewing.patternreview.com I decided to try New Look 6735.  After the narrow shoulders on Butterick 5215 I was a little nervous about the shoulders on this one. I measured and thought they would be plenty wide, then realized there is a centre seam in the back that would take up some of that width. In the end I made it as it came out of the envelope with the only adjustment being to add an inch to the length at the waist.

Overall I am much happier with this pattern than the Butterick. I think the shoulders fit me perfectly.  This pattern has easing at the bust which makes for a better fit. I may even increase that easing a bit in the next version I make. With the 1" length adjustment it is a good length. Initially I was thinking I would need to also add an inch to the hemline but looking at the pic I think it's good where it's at.  I didn't adjust the scoop neckline at all this time around. I don't have enough recent experience with the pattern companies but my initial feel is that the New Look patterns fit me better than the Butterick out of the envelope. This may not be a fair conclusion since I am basing this on one tee pattern from each.  Having said that I still may take it in a bit more through the middle. (Edited to add: I did take it in bringing it down a size and it fits much better. I have updated the photos to the new, better fit)  In fairness to the pattern it doesn't look any more fitted on the model.  I am used to very fitted tees and can't decide if it is the looser fit that makes me look thick in the middle or if it is my thick middle making me look thick in the middle lol.

AND... I have some very exciting really fantastic news!  Well, for sewing, anyway.  I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the newest member of the family, Phoebe.  Phoebe is a Pfaff Ambition 1.5 which I should have in my hot little hands on Wednesday.  One of the first things I'm going to do is redo the hems on this top.  I used a double needle and ended up with some skipped stitches.  Also, the longest of the three stitch options on Betty (the White) (about 2.5mm) looks too short for a topstitch.  Betty has served me faithfully for about 27 years but she is a very basic machine.  She has earned a semi-retirement as a back-up machine.  Phoebe has a hem stitch for knits that I can't wait to try out. {gleefully rubbing my hands together}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bionic Gear Bag - Pattern Review (long and pic heavy)

New Look 6735 - The Dedicated Post

Name That Bike!